Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Incredible Whole-Food Chocolate CAKE!

Since we began our whole food journey two years ago, I've been looking for a really good cake recipe.  Each birthday celebration would come and go with sad imitations, and my children were very good-natured about it.  But coconut flour recipes I'd used in the past never really got the texture right.  I consigned myself to this new texture, and moved on.  Until...my friend Nicole invited us over for a birthday party and served this delightful cake.  I was in love.  My birthday is coming, so I thought I'd post it in celebration.  My 12 year old is now in charge of cake-making, and I love that he can!  This recipe is based on this post: http://paleospirit.com/2012/paleo-chocolate-birthday-cake-coconut-honey-frosting/

We love to use raw milk and cream in our recipes, and I don't drink coffee, and we prefer honey...so I modified some things.  Here it is!

Amazing Chocolate Cake (Grain-Free/GF, honey-sweetened with DF option)
(makes two 9-inch cakes)
1 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. sea salt
9 eggs
3/4 c. coconut oil/butter/ghee, melted (plus some for greasing pans)
1 c. honey
3/4 c. raw milk (or water for DF)
1 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
parchment paper (to line cake pans)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease cake pans and line with parchment paper
Sift coconut flour into small mixing bowl
Add cocoa, baking soda and salt to coconut flour and mix until combined
Put your whisk attachment on your Bosch/KitchenAid
Whisk the eggs in your mixer
Add the melted oil (or butter/ghee), honey, milk (or water) and vanilla to the eggs
Continue to mix until combined
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
Mix on low until completely combined
Scrape the batter into the two cake pans
Spread out the batter so it is relatively smooth
Bake for 30 minutes, inserted toothpick will come out clean when baked through
Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes
Loosen the cake from the pan and allow to cool completely.
Frost and enjoy!!

No comments: